Posts Tagged ‘Garden Art’
Here’s what you need:
- Big Shot Die Cut Machine
- die shape of your choice
- Embossing Folder
- hardware store supplies: #9 wire (for stake), aluminum flashing (get it in 6″ width for easy use)
- beads & wire of your choice
1. Cut a piece of aluminum flashing to fit your Big Shot (tin snips are a great tool — get them at the hardware store).
2. Cut the shape with your Big Shot (see it online) and the die of your choice (my favs are new Oval Accents – see it, Top Note – see it or Scallop Circle - see it). You can cut a butterfly to add, too (Beautiful Butterflies die – see it). Here’s the sandwich from the top down:
- cutting plate
- tag board shim
- cutting plate
3. Use your Big Shot and an Embossing Folder (see them all online) to add the texture to the cut aluminum. (My fav folders for this project are Flower Garden - see it, Elegant Lines – see it, and Manhattan Flower – see it)
4. Use your Crop-A-Dile to punch a hole at the top for the hook and at the bottom for any beading wires you want to hang.
5. Add beading of your choice (I did mine on a fine wire and wound the ends to keep the beads on).
6. Make your stake: If your wire comes on a roll, straighten a length of it by hand before you cut. Cut a length of #9 wire (bolt cutters work great — get them at the hardware store). Add the hook and curve at the top. This was a 2 person job at my house — each of use with a pair of vise-grip pliers.
Last week we made these at Mary Ellen’s house, and since my mom was here visiting, we ran out and got supplies to make our own. And yesterday at Scrap Camp for Kids, I had 20 school-aged kids make these themselves.
With the shine and the way they swing in the wind, we decided that these are definitely a classy step up from hanging empty pie tins in the garden to keep pests away
Another thought… want to get your Big Shot and pick out your cutting die for free? Plus get a discount on other dies & Embossing Folders that you want? Be sure to check out the special on the Demonstrator Starter Kit – and teach this craft to your own friends!